I have trouble keeping track of the books I read, as well as articles, commentaries and such. I thought I’d try to organize them here. This is a work in progress so it will continue to morph as I continue reading.
Bible Reading/Torah Cycle:
- Annual Torah Cycle for 2013-14 (currently reading).
- Canon Without Closure: Torah Commentaries (currently reading).
- Annual Bible Reading for 2013-14 (currently reading).
- Gifts of the Spirit by Boaz Michael, Editor.
- A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
- Children of Dune by Frank Herbert.
- The Irony of Galatians: Paul’s Letter in First-Century Context by Mark Nanos.
- Smith Wigglesworth: Apostle Of Faith by Stanley Howard Frodsham.
- Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit by Covert Bailey.
- The Fall of Fortresses: A Personal Account of the Most Daring, and Deadly, American Air Battles of World War II by Elmer Bendiner .
- The Gods of Mars (Kindle edition) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (currently reading).
- Mishnah and the Words of Jesus (Kindle edition) by Roy B. Blizzard.
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (currently reading).
- The Jewish Background to the Lord’s Prayer by Brad Young (currently reading).
Books that I want to (or should) read or re-read, listed in no particular order. If I read one, it pops off this list. If I discover new books I want/need/should read, they’ll pop on the list:
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
- Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter
- Return of the Kosher Pig by Rabbi Itzhak Shapira
- The Genesis One Code by Daniel Friedmann
- The God of Israel and Christian Theology by R. Kendall Soulen
- The Garden of Emuna by Rabbi Shalom Arush
- The Way of the Didache: The First Christian Handbook by William Varner
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
- Three Views on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by multiple contributors
- The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies by Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee.
- Bible in Ancient and Modern Media: Story and Performance, Holly E. Hearon, Ed.
- A Rereading of Romans: Justice, Jews, and Gentiles by Stanley K Stowers.
- The Universal Garden of Emuna by Shalom Arush.
- Fishers and Hunters by Meridel Rawlings.
- The New Testament and Rabbinic Judaism: (Jordan Lectures) by David Daube (on the pricey side).
- A Rabbinic Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke by Samuel Tobias Lachs (on the really pricey side).
- The Culture of Disbelief by Stephen L. Carter (really affordable).
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony by Richard Bauckham
- The Mitzvot: The Commandments and Their Rationale by Rabbi Abraham Chill.
Bible Reading/Torah Cycle:
- Annual Torah Cycle for 2012-13 (completed).
- Canon Without Closure: Torah Commentaries (ongoing).
- Annual Bible Reading for 2012-13 (completed).
- Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Elliott Friedman.
- The Heavenly Man by Brother Yun.
- The Divine Arsonist: A Tale of Awakening by Jacob Nordby.
- The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castaneda.
- Introduction to Messianic Judaism: Its Ecclesial Context and Biblical Foundations by David Rudolph and Joel Willitts.
- The Sabbath Breaker by D. Thomas Lancaster.
- Paul on Trial: The Book of Acts as a Defense of Christianity by John W. Mauck.
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card.
- Mystical Christianity: A Psychological Commentary on the Gospel of John by John A. Sanford.
- The Holy Epistle to the Galatians by D. Thomas Lancaster.
- The Garments of Torah: Essays in Biblical Hermeneutics by Michael Fishbane.
- Man Plus by Frederik Pohl.
- The Everlasting Jew, selected writings of Rabbi Isaac Lichtenstein, published by Vine of David.
- The Pursuit of God (Kindle Edition) by A.W. Tozer.
- The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited (Kindle Edition) by Scot McKnight.
- Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.
- Genesis and the Big Bang: The Discovery Of Harmony Between Modern Science And The Bible by Gerald L. Schroeder.
- The Hidden Face of God: How Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth by Gerald L. Schroeder.
- Invitation to the Septuagint by Karen H. Jobes and Moisés Silva.
- The Lone Ranger Rides by Fran Stricker.
- 40 Questions About Christians and Biblical Law by Thomas Schreiner.
- Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle by Dan Senor and Saul Singer.
- Seeing God: Ten Life-Changing Lessons of the Kabbalah by Rabbi David Aaron.
- The Jewish Approach to God: A Brief Introduction for Christians by Rabbi Neil Gillman.
- The Stranger by Albert Camus.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
- Dune by Frank Herbert.
- Tent of David: Healing the Vision of the Messianic Gentile by Boaz Michael.
- The Mystery of Romans: The Jewish Context of Paul’s Letters by Mark Nanos.
- Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert.
- The Didache: Text, Translation, Analysis, and Commentary by Aaron Milavec.
- Daniels Prophecy of the 70 Weeks by Alva J. McClain.
- The Four Responsibilities of a Disciple by Darren N. Huckey.
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
Articles and Papers:
- Matthew 23:2-4: Does Jesus Recognize the Authority of the Pharisees and Does He Endorse Their Halakhah (PDF) by Noel S. Rabbinowitz, JETS 46/3 (Sept. 2003) 423-47
- Chapter 1: Embracing the Authority and Sufficiency of Scripture by John MacArthur
- Paul and “The Israel of God”: An Exegetical and Eschatological Case-Study (PDF) by S. Lewis Johnson, Jr., TMSJ 20/1 (Spring 2009) 41-55
- Divine Election or Human Effort? by Manfred E. Kober, Th.D.
- ‘Callused,’ Not ‘Hardened’: Paul’s Revelation of Temporary Protection Until All Israel Can Be Healed (PDF) ©Mark D. Nanos, Rockhurst University, www.marknanos.com
Paper Presented at the Central States SBL, St. Louis, March 22, 2010
- Interactive Diversity (PDF) This is the pre-publication typescript of an article published in Journal of Theological Studies. “Interactive Diversity: A Proposed Model of Christian Origins.” Larry Hurtado, The Journal of Theological Studies 2013; doi: 10.1093/jts/flt063
- A Torah-Positive Summary of Sha’ul’s Letter to the Galatians by Ariel Berkowitz, Messianic Publications, August 27, 2013
- Was Timothy Jewish (Acts 16:1-3)? Patristic Exegesis, Rabbinic Law, and Matrilineal Descent (PDF) by Shaye J.D. Cohen, JBL 105/2 (1986) 251–268
- Defilement by Association: Some Insights from the Usage of Koino~/Koinor in Acts 10 and 11 (PDF) by Colin House, Andrews University Seminary Studies, Summer 1983, Vol 21, No. 2, 143-153.
- A Torah-Observant Paul?: What Difference Could it Make for Christian/Jewish Relations Today? by Mark D. Nanos, May 9, 2005 (PDF Version Sent — Endnote Formatted), For “Christians Scholars Group on Christian-Jewish Relations,” June 4-6, 2005.